Thank you for volunteering to help us personally contact all enrolled students through the All Vol Call Campaign! You are an important member of the Volunteer family and play a critical role in this outreach effort. Thank you for your dedication to supporting our students on their path to success.
Provide proactive and intentional engagement for all students about academic and student services opportunities available through a virtual environment. Create a culture of care and support. This is a guide for the conversation you will have with students to check in on them to see how they are doing. Feel free to use words or phrases that come more naturally to you! It’s important to note that some students may share sensitive and private information. If you learn of a student in emotional or physical distress, please refer them to the 865-974-HELP referral line in the Office of the Dean of Students.
STEPS TO PREPARE TO MAKE YOUR CALLS
- Use the list provided by your liaison.
- Familiarize yourself with the call guidelines and how to make calls in your own
authentic words & voice.
- Dial the primary and/or alternate phone number to reach the student.
- Use the appropriate guide below for your conversation
- Record the call outcome on the Call Outcome Form
GUIDANCE FOR CALLS
When a Caller Reaches the Student
Hi, (student name). This is (caller’s name) calling from the University of Tennessee. We’re following up with all students to check in and offer support. The transition to online courses from in-person may be challenging for many students—after all, it’s a brand-new experience for all of us. To make the transition as smooth as possible, we’re contacting you to see how your first few days have gone. How are you doing? How can we help you?
(Appropriately respond to their answer. Refer to FAQs and information in this resource guide as needed.)
Consider Open-Ended Questions
- What are the challenges you are facing?
- Were you able to achieve your goals this week?
- Was there anything that prevented you from doing your best work?
- Do you have the resources you need to achieve your goals?
- Do you have what you need to be successful?
Campus Resources to Share
- To enhance the online experience we’ve designed virtual resources to engage, support and energize our students. For example, we’re offering tutoring, academic coaching and advising online. Learn more at studentsuccess.utk.edu
- You can attend a comedy show, paint, or join a book club with others online.
To discuss financial aid, refunds, withdrawing, or other enrollment services contact One Stop at 865-974-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are struggling or in distress and need to talk with someone immediately feel free to call 865-974-HELP. (Caller should make a specific referral to 974-HELP following the call.)
- Recap any of the recommendations the student committed. For instance, if they need to talk with their advisor repeat this fact and offer to have the advisor call them.
- Reiterate that UT faculty and staff care. We’re here for you and Vols – you got this!
- Ask if they’d like us to call again in a few days or weeks – note this on the Call Outcome Form.
(End the call.)
Thank you so much for your time today, (student name). Be sure to let us know if there’s anything else we can do to support you. Have a great day!
When a Caller Reaches Someone Other than Student
(Assuming you asked to speak with the student and they were unavailable.)
This is (caller’s name) calling from the University of Tennessee. We’re calling all Vols to check in on them during this time of transition to online classes and to see if they need assistance with anything. If they need assistance please have them reach out to our Student Success Center at 865-974-6641 or email@example.com. We are here to support every member of our Volunteer Family.
When a Caller Leaves a Voicemail
Hi, (student name). This is (caller’s name) from the University of Tennessee. We’re calling to check in on all students to see how you are doing and also see if you need assistance with anything as we transition to online classes. If there’s anything we can do for you, please give us a call at 865-974-6641 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to support you. Thanks and have a great day!
Please Contact Us If You Have Any Questions
Executive Director, One Stop Student Services
Assistant Vice Provost, Enrollment Operations & Interim Registrar
Associate Vice Provost, Student Success